Did you know. . .?
- Plastic bags do not biodegrade, or decompose, like other items. They photo-degrade, or break down in the sunlight into smaller pieces, but never completely go away.
- A plastic bag can take between 400 to 1,000 years to photo-degrade into very small pieces.
- The world’s oceans continue to fill with plastic trash, and about 80% of that trash comes from on land.
- At least 267 different marine species are known to have suffered from our litter, most of which is plastic.
- Every year, Americans use approximately 102 billion plastic bags, but only about 2% of those bags get recycled.
back to Dangers of Plastic